Shakespeare once wrote that “The eyes are the window to the soul.” Nowhere else in the body are we able to view the actual blood vessels in action like we can when we look at the retina. As such, we can often detect general physical diseases by looking at the eyes.
Common eye diseases ....
- Macular Degeneration
- Retinal Detachment
- Dry Eye
- Corneal Degeneration
Systemic diseases may also be detected during an eye exam.
- Hypertension – High Blood Pressure
- Hypercholesterolaemia – High Cholesterol
Eye disease warning signs ....
If you experience any of the following symptoms, you should have your eyes examined quickly:
- Sudden loss of vision in one or both eyes
- Seeing flashes of light in your eyes
- Seeing large numbers of spots or “floaters” in your eyes
- Double vision
- Pain in or around the eyes
In summary #1 is quite simple to remember – have your eyes and the eyes of those in your family checked at least once every two years or more regularly if advised.